SPARROWS LIKE THAN DINOSAURS AND MAMOUTS COULD APPEAR IN THE LIST OF EXTINCT ANIMALS
TO PROMOTE KNOWLEDGE AND DEFENCE OF THIS SPECIES THE 20TH OF MARCH
IS WORLD SPARROW’S DAY .
IS WORLD SPARROW’S DAY .
SPARROWS ARE A BIODIVERSITY INDICATOR IN OUR ENVIROMENT. GUARANTEEING THEIR EXISTENCE WOULD ENSURE OUR QUALITY OF LIFE.
IN SPAIN THIS SPARROW POPULATION HAS DECREASED OVER THE LAST DECADE TO ABOUT 14 % IN RURAL AREAS AND IN SOME EUROPEAN COUNTRIES THE DECLINE IS SO PRONOUNCED THAT IT HAS DISAPPEARED FROM CITIES LIKE LONDON.
PRINCIPAL CAUSES OF THEIR EXTINTION:
-CLEANING UP CITIES AND PARKS.
- COMPETITION AGAIST OTHER BIRDS FOR FOOD.
-INCREASING POPULATION OF PIGEONS AND MAGPIES.
-THE INCREASING POPULATION OF STRAY CATS.
- MODERN BUILDINGS AND THE ELIMINATION OF OLD TREES.
-THE USE OF INSECTICIDES DEPRIVES THE MAINSTAY OF INSECTS’ OFFSPRING. PESTICIDES END UP WITH WEEDS WHERE SPARROWS CAN FIND GRASSHOPPERS AND COLEOPTERA.
COMMON NAME: Sparrow SCIENTIFIC NAME: Passer domesticus
CLASS: Birds GENRE:Passer ORDER:Passeriformes FAMILY:Passeridae
- Sparrow are disappearing from Madrid. We lose fourteen thousand sparrows per year.
- Between Madrid, Castilla La Mancha, Castilla y León and Valencia the decreasing is almost 400,000 sparrows per year.
- The extinction of sparrows in La Rioja is caused by excessive use of mobile phones and the placement of antennas.
- In Galicia the population of sparrows decreased by 25 percent over the past three decades, that means that the process of extinction is accelerating.
- In Asturias, there are many sparrows.
- Sparrow population suffer a great decreasement in Andalucía, about 14 percent.
- The Mavea Ornithology Group published yesterday a new census of birds of Avilés in which they alert of the gradual disappearance of the sparrow. It is observed that in the twenty last years the population has been reduced by 19 percent.
- In Catalonia the population of sparrows has decreased between 2002 and 2010 by 2 percent.
- Sparrows arrive at Baleares by ship, because it is not their origin place.
- In Basque country the sparrow population has declined by 80 percent in recent decades. It is becoming much more difficult to see a sparrow.
- Navarra has allowed the hunting of sparrows because the Environment Department consider them as a plague.
- United Kingdom sparrow population decreased by 68% in the last decades. In London they have disappeared.
- In Italy there are many sparrows and people kill them.
- In Berlin this bird has almost disappeared.
- In Prague they have practically disappeared.
- In China they were nearly extinct by the end of the 50s because the campaign of extermination of the four pests (sparrows, flies, mosquitoes and mice) to minimize the lost of grain to feed more people. North Korea was about to follow in his footsteps, but fortunately they waited to see the consequences of China which suffered a severe plague of locusts having left their fields of crops unprotected, they also suffered a famine and were forced to ask for help to Russia. Russians sent them a secret cargo of sparrows so they could repopulate their fields.